Tsunami Disaster Appeal
Reestit Mutton
2004-12-31 17:06:45 UTC
Unless you've been on another planet for the past week, you will
doubtless be aware of the undersea earthquake that struck off the
Indonesian island of Sumatra on Sunday, sending giant waves smashing
into coastlines from Malaysia to East Africa. More than 100,000 people
are so far confirmed dead, thousands of people are still missing and an
estimated 5 million survivors are now at risk, with little food, water
or shelter.

The global response to this natural disaster has been little short of
astounding with governments pledging money, facilities and manpower for
the rescue effort and individuals worldwide donating cash to
international charities involved in the area. In addition to making a
personal donation myself, I would also like to do that little bit more.

With this in mind, I've decided to donate some of the sales commissions
that my website earns to charity. Therefore, ALL commissions earned from
ALL Amazon CDs, DVDs, games & books that are purchased using one of my
affiliate links between now and 31 March 2005 will be donated to the
appeal fund via the Disasters Emergency Committee. This is a UK umbrella
organisation which includes the following charitable organisations World
Vision, Tear Fund, Save the Children, Oxfam, Merlin, Concern, Christian
Aid, CAFOD, British Red Cross & Action Aid.

http://www.dec.org.uk

More details on this offer, including my affiliate links can be found on
my website:
http://www.reestit-mutton.co.uk/CHARITY/tsunami-jan05.html

regards,
RM
Basil

RM
LB
2004-12-31 17:29:03 UTC
I realise this is probably a bit hard, and I do sympathise with those
affected by the tragedy, however - why is it everyone in this country feels
the need to go way beyond the call of duty to help other countries, whilst
our own is in desperate need of help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping when such a disaster occurs, but
where have Blairs crew suddenly found £50m to donate? Couldn't that money
have been used for Doctors or extra Police if it wasn't been used??

Britain as a whole is far too soft - both on its own people (where a
significant number of people are better off not working for a living, which
in my view is completely and utterly wrong) and every other country. We
practically invite immigrants to come here, making it as easy as possible to
let them in whilst every other self respecting country has a process that
can take years. When they get here, we are forced to make sure we don't
offend them by living our life as normal.

Its also worth pointing out that many of the countries we are donating our
money too, need to money because the people there are so corrupt - what
makes you think the money will get there this time? (this is not specific
the the OP topic).

Like I say, I have every sympathy for those in the tragedy - but I honestly
think there needs to be a little bit of 'charity begins at home' sometimes.
Yoggle
2004-12-31 17:41:47 UTC
Post by LB
[...]
Indeed, but when over 100,000 (foreseed final estimate, realistically nobody
knows) are killed, you can't comprehend that.

Five people are killed in your local housing estate; that's quite a lot. 100
- wow that's pretty severe. 1000 - starting to not comprehend what that
really means, one-hundred thousand dead due to a natural disaster.

Uncomprehendable. I bet you never give to charity either, you fat cunt
pete
2004-12-31 17:44:03 UTC
and a happy new year to you too...
Shiela S
2004-12-31 17:48:35 UTC
Post by Yoggle
Post by LB
[...]
I *was* in total agreement with your post - but then you weaken your
argument by resorting to unnecessary foul-mouthed abuse....
horse
2004-12-31 18:42:11 UTC
Good call. Try not to get too stabbed on the way out.
^^artnada^^
2004-12-31 17:42:15 UTC
LB wrote:

|| Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping when such a disaster occurs, but
|| where have Blairs crew suddenly found £50m to donate?

Because there is always a "pot" of approx £1.6 billion specifically for
disasters.
Reestit Mutton
2004-12-31 17:43:41 UTC
Post by LB
[...]
Well, as it happens, last year I raised funds for Shelter (via a very
similar offer) and St. Christopher's Hospice (via donating the profits
from some of my ebay auctions) and I'm sure I'll focus back on UK-based
charities once this current offer has ended.

Somehow, I think that we can be pretty confident that the money raised
will be used for proper humanitarian purposes. The charities themselves
would have to be pretty corrupt for the money not to be well used.

A bit hard? yes. However, there will always be people with differing
views when it comes to charitable donations. That's what makes
charitable giving such a personal decision for many.

regards,
RM
Keith Lawrence
2004-12-31 19:51:55 UTC
Post by Reestit Mutton
Somehow, I think that we can be pretty confident that the
money raised will be used for proper humanitarian purposes.
The charities themselves would have to be pretty corrupt
for the money not to be well used.
Define "well used". The reality of donating to big charities are that they
are big businesses, recon on around 70% actually going where you think it
is. The rest is swallowed up in administration etc., by far the biggest
chunk of this being the costs of advertising/fundraising to get even more
money in.

From the latest accounts of the big three : British Red Cross, Oxfam and
Save The Children - nearly £50m, or around 13% of gross annual income is
spent on fundraising - those chuggers (Charity Muggers) you see on the high
street harassing people cost around £7 per hour each.

That's the reality of donating to these "big causes". That's why I
personally prefer the smaller more targeted charities working locally on
specific projects, they are far more cost effective IMHO.

HTH

Keith L
mogga
2004-12-31 17:49:58 UTC
Post by LB
I realise this is probably a bit hard, and I do sympathise with those
affected by the tragedy, however - why is it everyone in this country feels
the need to go way beyond the call of duty to help other countries, whilst
our own is in desperate need of help.
I believe India have said they don't need any help.
Post by LB
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping when such a disaster occurs, but
where have Blairs crew suddenly found £50m to donate? Couldn't that money
have been used for Doctors or extra Police if it wasn't been used??
Did you see gordon brown get angry when the reported asked him why
tony hadn't cut short his holiday?
--
http://searchfreebies.co.uk/freebies/index.php
freebies blog
pete
It's a rich country, they have spare cash to develop nuclear weapons.
oO °
PRAT
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2004-12-31 18:10:02 UTC
Post by LB
[...]
How absolutely correct you are with everything you are saying and of
course one should never forget that British people have been providing
people from these countries with housing, food, health care, and
schooling for their children to the detriment of our own people for a
number of years. Yet more and more are being allowed into this country
on a daily basis to soak up our cash and resources .
Tosh
Oh dear, another Daily Mail reader.
Joey
2004-12-31 19:18:42 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Post by LB
[...]
I hope YOU GET WASHED AWAY eating your SHIT steak & kidney pie + chips
on Margate beach, wanker!!!
joe parkin
2005-01-01 00:11:44 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@a.b
says...
Post by Joey
I hope YOU GET WASHED AWAY eating your SHIT steak & kidney pie + chips
on Margate beach, wanker!!!
Quite
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
ex WGS Hamm
2005-01-01 12:20:36 UTC
Post by Joey
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Post by LB
[...]
You have just lots any credability you might have had with your foul
mouthed and unintelligent reply.
Joey
2004-12-31 19:15:13 UTC
I honestly think there needs to be a little bit of 'charity begins at home' sometimes.
FUCK OFF, BNP COCK SUCKER!!!!!
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2004-12-31 19:18:09 UTC
Post by Joey
I honestly think there needs to be a little bit of 'charity begins at home' sometimes.
FUCK OFF, BNP COCK SUCKER!!!!!
Another whowould see his own countrymen go under in order to help
someone who would not help us if it came to it .
NOW PISS OFF .
MikeT
2004-12-31 22:16:04 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Another whowould see his own countrymen go under in order to help
someone who would not help us if it came to it .
What amazing ignorance.

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/india/medals/VC/IndVC.html

Who were they all helping?
Mike
joe parkin
2005-01-01 00:13:04 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@a.b
says...
Post by Joey
I honestly think there needs to be a little bit of 'charity begins at home' sometimes.
FUCK OFF, BNP COCK SUCKER!!!!!
Why is he a BNP cocksucker?
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
Tony Bond (UncleFista)
2005-01-01 03:14:46 UTC
Post by Joey
FUCK OFF, BNP COCK SUCKER!!!!!
Oh dear, once the major political parties find out about some of the fringe
benefits the BNP are enjoying they'll kick up a stink....
hissing
2004-12-31 19:14:45 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:29:03 +0000, LB wrote:

Ooohhh, a troll how sweet. Was it a bit cold under that troll bridge today
and it made you all grumpy? I would have also though trolls would all be
for giving money for Tsunami/flood victims considering the likelihood that
a troll himself may be a victim getting washed away from under his
troll bridge.
Mike GW8IJT
2004-12-31 19:15:54 UTC
Post by LB
practically invite immigrants to come here, making it as easy as possible to
let them in whilst every other self respecting country has a process that
can take years. When they get here, we are forced to make sure we don't
offend them by living our life as normal.
Its also worth pointing out that many of the countries we are donating our
money too, need to money because the people there are so corrupt - what
makes you think the money will get there this time? (this is not specific
the the OP topic).
Like I say, I have every sympathy for those in the tragedy - but I honestly
think there needs to be a little bit of 'charity begins at home' sometimes.
Well said.
Charity begins at home.
I feel very sorry for those people hit by the tsunami but what about
homeless people in Britain dying of malnutrition and hypothermia.
Regards Mike.
Simon
2004-12-31 19:45:20 UTC
Post by Mike GW8IJT
Well said.
Charity begins at home.
I feel very sorry for those people hit by the tsunami but what about
homeless people in Britain dying of malnutrition and hypothermia.
Regards Mike.
Most of britains homeless are drug addicts who would not want to leave the
streets of britain as benefits would not cover the cost of the habit but
begging does. I know this as a m8 of mine patrols the streets of Leeds.

I don't think anyone really needs handouts in britain as even the low life
spongers who are on benefits and long term sick drive cars and have mobile
phones and smoke and drink! Too much benefits if you ask me.

These poor people caught up in the disaster need as much help as we can
give.
joe parkin
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2005-01-01 00:44:01 UTC
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:16:45 -0000, joe parkin
Post by joe parkin
WOW so much anger
Don't worry about it Joe some people just do not like the truth.
Bob
2005-01-01 07:33:38 UTC
Post by Simon
Post by Mike GW8IJT
Well said.
Charity begins at home.
I feel very sorry for those people hit by the tsunami but what about
homeless people in Britain dying of malnutrition and hypothermia.
Regards Mike.
Most of britains homeless are drug addicts who would not want to leave the
streets of britain as benefits would not cover the cost of the habit but
begging does. I know this as a m8 of mine patrols the streets of Leeds.
Most of Britains homeless are actually abused kids and are not drug
addicts but don't let the truth get in your way
Post by Simon
I don't think anyone really needs handouts in britain as even the low life
spongers who are on benefits and long term sick drive cars and have mobile
phones and smoke and drink! Too much benefits if you ask me.
Agreed.
I suspect throwing money at he problem isn't the real answer though.
h***@despammed.com
2005-01-01 11:20:46 UTC
Post by Bob
Most of Britains homeless are actually abused kids and are not drug
addicts but don't let the truth get in your way
Not true, but don't let facts get in your way.
--
Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
Browse now while stocks last!
joe parkin
2005-01-01 12:25:30 UTC
Post by h***@despammed.com
Post by Bob
Most of Britains homeless are actually abused kids and are not drug
addicts but don't let the truth get in your way
Not true, but don't let facts get in your way.
Depends how you class abused kids surely?
So what in your opinion are the most of British homeless, druggies or
abused or other?
Please feel free to post proof.
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
Steve Antony Williams
2005-01-01 12:04:15 UTC
Post by Simon
These poor people caught up in the disaster need as much help as we can
give.
I suspect throwing money at he problem isn't the real answer though.
It never is, money doesn't always make problems go away. I'm not exactly
"poor" and I still have problems.

DrSteveW
ex WGS Hamm
2005-01-01 12:27:18 UTC
Post by Simon
These poor people caught up in the disaster need as much help as we can
give.
I suspect throwing money at he problem isn't the real answer though.
It isn't the answer. Unless someone comes up with a way to stop
earthquakes. Another one has happened in the last 24 hours but only 5 on the
richter scale. When one big one like this has happened, it is likely more
will happen shortly.
Steven Sumpter
2005-01-01 10:46:39 UTC
Post by Simon
I don't think anyone really needs handouts in britain as even the low life
spongers who are on benefits and long term sick drive cars and have mobile
phones and smoke and drink! Too much benefits if you ask me.
Has it occured to you that the long-term sick are given cars because
that's the only way they can have a meaningful existence? How would
you like to be stuck in a house all day having no contact with anyone
until you decide to kill yourself to get away from your dreary
existence? Most of the people who recieve Disability Living Allowance
that pays for a car on the mobility scheme get it because they cannot go
_anywhere_ without a car.

As for mobile phones, they are pretty much an essential for modern life.
I agree that it's taking the piss if someone living entirely on
benefits is spending hundreds a month on their mobile, but objecting to
them just having one is unfair.

I entirely agree with you about the smoking though.
Simon
2005-01-01 10:59:51 UTC
Post by Steven Sumpter
Has it occured to you that the long-term sick are given cars because
that's the only way they can have a meaningful existence? How would you
like to be stuck in a house all day having no contact with anyone until
you decide to kill yourself to get away from your dreary existence? Most
of the people who recieve Disability Living Allowance that pays for a car
on the mobility scheme get it because they cannot go _anywhere_ without a
car.
I was not referng to genuine long term sick but the ones who go on it to
avoid having to look for work and keep the benefits. The ones that carry a
walking stick but never use the bloody thing. Now its these that spoil it
for the genuine ones!
Post by Steven Sumpter
As for mobile phones, they are pretty much an essential for modern life. I
agree that it's taking the piss if someone living entirely on benefits is
spending hundreds a month on their mobile, but objecting to them just
having one is unfair.
Now I was not objecting to them having one, bt the fact they can easily
afford to have one while on benefits shows that the poorest of our country
just are not needy at all!
joe parkin
2005-01-01 12:19:08 UTC
Post by Steven Sumpter
As for mobile phones, they are pretty much an essential for modern life. I
agree that it's taking the piss if someone living entirely on benefits is
spending hundreds a month on their mobile, but objecting to them just
having one is unfair.
Now I was not objecting to them having one, bt the fact they can easily
afford to have one while on benefits shows that the poorest of our country
just are not needy at all!
What makes you think the people who are on disability or on the sick
are the pooresr in the country?
When my mother was classed as disabled, her and my father were much
better off (money wise of course).
People on disability are not poor at all, (and no this is not a troll
at the disabled)
The needy are the homeless, because without an address, they can claim
or get, nothing except charity.
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
Steven Sumpter
2005-01-01 12:27:19 UTC
Post by Simon
I was not referng to genuine long term sick but the ones who go on it to
avoid having to look for work and keep the benefits. The ones that carry a
walking stick but never use the bloody thing. Now its these that spoil it
for the genuine ones!
I appologise, I was annoyed at the general attitude of the rest of this
thread when I replied to your post, so I probably didn't read it very
carefully before getting offended. I too think it bad that so many
people are able to take advantage of the system.
Post by Simon
Now I was not objecting to them having one, bt the fact they can easily
afford to have one while on benefits shows that the poorest of our country
just are not needy at all!
I don't think that the people getting benefits count as the poorest of
our country. There's plenty of people out on the streets with no
benefit at all.

joe parkin
2005-01-01 11:16:36 UTC
Post by Steven Sumpter
Has it occured to you that the long-term sick are given cars because
that's the only way they can have a meaningful existence? How would
you like to be stuck in a house all day having no contact with anyone
until you decide to kill yourself to get away from your dreary
existence? Most of the people who recieve Disability Living Allowance
that pays for a car on the mobility scheme get it because they cannot go
_anywhere_ without a car.
As for mobile phones, they are pretty much an essential for modern life.
I agree that it's taking the piss if someone living entirely on
benefits is spending hundreds a month on their mobile, but objecting to
them just having one is unfair.
I entirely agree with you about the smoking though.
Lets guess, you have a car, and a mobile, but you don't smoke?
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
ex WGS Hamm
2005-01-01 12:25:53 UTC
Post by Simon
Post by Mike GW8IJT
Well said.
Charity begins at home.
I feel very sorry for those people hit by the tsunami but what about
homeless people in Britain dying of malnutrition and hypothermia.
Regards Mike.
Most of britains homeless are drug addicts who would not want to leave the
streets of britain as benefits would not cover the cost of the habit but
begging does. I know this as a m8 of mine patrols the streets of Leeds.
I don't think anyone really needs handouts in britain as even the low life
spongers who are on benefits and long term sick drive cars and have mobile
phones and smoke and drink! Too much benefits if you ask me.
You obviously know nothing about the subject. I guess I am one of your low
life spongers then as I am on benefits. Long term sick and disability
benefits. Yes I drive a car and yes I have a mobile phone and have the
occasional glass of wine in the evening (don't smoke). Are you saying that
people unable to work should stay at home all day? How about workhouses
would you be in favour of reintroducing those? Hey, howabout just putting us
to sleep. That would save a fortune wouldn't it.
Do you have elderly parents? Or grandparents? What about their state
pension? Should that be taken away too like in the pre 1940's, so that they
have to either work, or go into the workhouse?
Post by Simon
These poor people caught up in the disaster need as much help as we can
give.
Then give it, but do it privately. Giving, then boasting about how
charitable you are is not nice, especially when you have shown how
*uncharitable* you are to those who are unable to work because of ill health
in your own country.
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2004-12-31 20:26:50 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:15:54 -0000, "Mike GW8IJT"
Post by Mike GW8IJT
Well said.
Charity begins at home.
I feel very sorry for those people hit by the tsunami but what about
homeless people in Britain dying of malnutrition and hypothermia.
Regards Mike.
This the way I feel Mike but the UK has always been the same we have
always been the first to fill up the begging bowls of other countries
people but the ones reaching out from the benches in Hyde park and
many other places in the UK remain empty .
h***@despammed.com
2005-01-01 01:06:58 UTC
Post by Mike GW8IJT
I feel very sorry for those people hit by the tsunami but what about
homeless people in Britain dying of malnutrition and hypothermia.
There is no need for anyone in this country to die of malnutrition or
hypothermia. The welfare state provides for people to prevent this.

Unlike the nations suffering from the earthquake, where people were
dying of malnutrition before (though not hypothermia, I guess!). The
fact that this disaster of biblical proportion has hit poor countries
makes it that much worse.
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2005-01-01 01:31:28 UTC
Post by h***@despammed.com
There is no need for anyone in this country to die of malnutrition or
hypothermia. The welfare state provides for people to prevent this.
Really you had better go and tell the guys sleeping on park benches
who have been to the benefits agency and been told to piss off because
they are of no fixed abode .
Post by h***@despammed.com
Unlike the nations suffering from the earthquake, where people were
dying of malnutrition before (though not hypothermia, I guess!). The
fact that this disaster of biblical proportion has hit poor countries
makes it that much worse.
Maybe not maybe this is natures way of thinning out the world
population .
Anton Gÿsen
2005-01-01 01:32:14 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Maybe not maybe this is natures way of thinning out the world
population .
This is nature's way of confirming its authority upon us homosapiens.
After all, that's all we are, another species on planet Earth.
Tim Dunne
2005-01-01 01:58:52 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Maybe not maybe this is natures way of thinning out the world
population .
Trouble is, it clearly isn't thinning the right people...

Tim
Sent from Birmingham, UK... all about me at www.nervouscyclist.org
'Now some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I
cannot disagree - but I never learned nothing by playing it safe - I
say fate should not tempt me.' - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Anton Gÿsen
2005-01-01 02:11:41 UTC
"the right people" = ???? Bill Gates?
Sam
2005-01-01 03:03:47 UTC
Post by Anton Gÿsen
Post by Tim Dunne
Trouble is, it clearly isn't thinning the right people...
"the right people" = ???? Bill Gates?
No silly boy, ***@blueyonder.co.uk is the proper thinning target in this
thread. I have a vision of him being sucked down his bog as he strains :-) I
wonder how much will be raised for his "tragedy" not much I expect :-)

Sam
Steve Antony Williams
2005-01-01 12:04:14 UTC
Post by Anton Gÿsen
Post by Tim Dunne
Trouble is, it clearly isn't thinning the right people...
"the right people" = ???? Bill Gates?
Hmmph, what's wrong with Bill Gates?

People are always jealous of someone who is a big business success

DrSteveW
Paul F
2005-01-01 12:05:21 UTC
Post by Anton Gÿsen
Post by Tim Dunne
Trouble is, it clearly isn't thinning the right people...
"the right people" = ???? Bill Gates?
"The right people" - how about hypocrites who pretend to care about poor
people in Britain to create an opportunity for racist arguments against
helping people elsewhere? (Not you Anton. Your idea is good too.)

Paul F
h***@despammed.com
2005-01-01 11:20:46 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Really you had better go and tell the guys sleeping on park benches
who have been to the benefits agency and been told to piss off because
they are of no fixed abode .
Yes, I have done. I used to work with them. And I can assure you that
you can claim benefit without a fixed abode. Admittedly it's a lot of
hassle, that most can't be bothered with, but it's easier than getting
a cashback on a mobile phone contract.
joe parkin
2005-01-01 12:23:19 UTC
Post by h***@despammed.com
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Really you had better go and tell the guys sleeping on park benches
who have been to the benefits agency and been told to piss off because
they are of no fixed abode .
Yes, I have done. I used to work with them. And I can assure you that
you can claim benefit without a fixed abode. Admittedly it's a lot of
hassle, that most can't be bothered with, but it's easier than getting
a cashback on a mobile phone contract.
After trying to claim and being intentionally thwarted by agency staff
during 1984, I would disagree, if you have no fixed abode, you will be
given no help by the staff in the social security.
Again I disagree about the cash back, I found it very easy, just send
your bill in and refunded (CPW) perhaps it is just you?
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
Walt Davidson
2005-01-01 08:51:38 UTC
Post by h***@despammed.com
There is no need for anyone in this country to die of malnutrition or
hypothermia. The welfare state provides for people to prevent this.
It does not.

The Social Security Department (or whatever the latest "in" name for
them is now) wrote to me in October saying I would receive my Winter
Fuel Allowance before Christmas. I have received nothing.
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
h***@despammed.com
2005-01-01 11:20:46 UTC
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 08:51:38 +0000, Walt Davidson
Post by Walt Davidson
I have received nothing
And you are dead?

I think you make my point for me.
h***@despammed.com
2004-12-31 19:25:45 UTC
Post by LB
I honestly
think there needs to be a little bit of 'charity begins at home' sometimes.
As yes, yet another person who is so selfish and thick that they
completely misunderstand what Sir Thomas Browne meant when coining
that phrase.

The actual meaning (clear from the original context is "Charity
/begins/ at home" - meaning that it should then continue further
afield.
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2004-12-31 20:32:24 UTC
Post by h***@despammed.com
The actual meaning (clear from the original context is "Charity
/begins/ at home" - meaning that it should then continue further
afield.
I agree with you but we have not got to the point where help is NOT
needed for the people of the UK and until that need is fully met we
should not be throwing 50 million pounds or even ONE pound at the
Indian ocean earthquake .
Sprite
2004-12-31 21:56:44 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Post by h***@despammed.com
The actual meaning (clear from the original context is "Charity
/begins/ at home" - meaning that it should then continue further
afield.
I agree with you but we have not got to the point where help is NOT
needed for the people of the UK and until that need is fully met we
should not be throwing 50 million pounds or even ONE pound at the
Indian ocean earthquake .
Help will always be needed here. As has already been said, a lot of
homeless people are addicts of some kind and in some way choose that life.
They could get help, they choose not to.

The 100,000 people who DIED did not choose to do so. Entire communities
have been completely wiped out. It's just humane to help them.

Sue
Me, Myself
And of course, the kids suffering in the UK, they chose to suffer!
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2004-12-31 22:54:55 UTC
Oh we are not bothered about them are we ! .
North stand North stand do your job
2004-12-31 23:59:12 UTC
do shut up you thick cunt.
Me, Myself
2005-01-01 09:53:31 UTC
Post by North stand North stand do your job
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Post by Me, Myself
And of course, the kids suffering in the UK, they chose to suffer!
Oh we are not bothered about them are we ! .
do shut up you thick cunt.
dont you just love it, when someone has nothing intelligent to say, they
revert to primeval rants
Paul F
2005-01-01 12:05:21 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Post by Me, Myself
And of course, the kids suffering in the UK, they chose to suffer!
Oh we are not bothered about them are we ! .
do shut up you thick cunt.
dont you just love it, when someone has nothing intelligent to say, they
revert to primeval rants
Personally I love it when people get the reponse they deserve.

Paul F
Sprite
2005-01-01 12:27:19 UTC
Post by Me, Myself
Post by Sprite
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Post by h***@despammed.com
The actual meaning (clear from the original context is "Charity
/begins/ at home" - meaning that it should then continue further
afield.
I agree with you but we have not got to the point where help is NOT
needed for the people of the UK and until that need is fully met we
should not be throwing 50 million pounds or even ONE pound at the
Indian ocean earthquake .
Help will always be needed here. As has already been said, a lot of
homeless people are addicts of some kind and in some way choose that life.
They could get help, they choose not to.
The 100,000 people who DIED did not choose to do so. Entire communities
have been completely wiped out. It's just humane to help them.
--
Sue
And of course, the kids suffering in the UK, they chose to suffer!
Which kids exactly?

Abused kids or sick kids? What kids? Do be more clear.

And no of course they didn't choose to suffer but throwing money at them
won't help either. In this case it will as whole communities need to
rebuild. Surely you can spare a couple of quid to help that?

If not go hunt out some local charities. Put your money where your mouth
is, as it were.

Sue
h***@despammed.com
2005-01-01 01:06:59 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
we have not got to the point where help is NOT
needed for the people of the UK
I take it that you have neither been to a really poor country, nor
actually gained any insight into the situation of people on the
breadline in the UK.

Perhaps you should keep quiet till you have done both.
PaulD
Have you, sanctimonious cunt?
Walt Davidson
2005-01-01 08:55:37 UTC
Post by PaulD
Post by h***@despammed.com
I take it that you have neither been to a really poor country, nor
actually gained any insight into the situation of people on the
breadline in the UK.
Perhaps you should keep quiet till you have done both.
Have you, sanctimonious cunt?
Hear, hear! I think that is the most apposite remark to be posted in
this thread so far.
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
DCW
2004-12-31 22:24:20 UTC
Post by LB
I realise this is probably a bit hard, and I do sympathise with those
affected by the tragedy, however - why is it everyone in this country feels
the need to go way beyond the call of duty to help other countries, whilst
our own is in desperate need of help.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping when such a disaster occurs, but
where have Blairs crew suddenly found £50m to donate? Couldn't that money
have been used for Doctors or extra Police if it wasn't been used??
What about the hundreds of millions of taxpayers money wasted on killing
Iraqis? Couldn't that have been used on doctors or extra police at home?
FFS!
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2004-12-31 22:54:06 UTC
Post by DCW
What about the hundreds of millions of taxpayers money wasted on killing
Iraqis? Couldn't that have been used on doctors or extra police at home?
FFS!
You are perfectly correct the Iraq war should not have happened Bush
sould have been told if he wanted to start a war then go ahead but
leave us out of it . So Sadam is/was a bastard so what he was doing us
or the yanks no harm and now it is costing UK and US lives every day
of the week what about their families I don't see the rest of the
world have a whip round for them !! .
tanker
2005-01-01 08:50:46 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:24:20 -0000, "DCW" > You are perfectly correct the
Iraq war should not have happened Bush
sould have been told if he wanted to start a war then go ahead but
leave us out of it . So Sadam is/was a bastard so what he was doing us
or the yanks no harm and now it is costing UK and US lives every day
of the week what about their families I don't see the rest of the
world have a whip round for them !! .
I recognise the slightly illiterate style and the bigoted views but can
anyone recall what the troll used to post as before he became
***@blueyonder? Just the most recent identity would satisfy my
curiosity:-)

tank
LB
2004-12-31 23:00:22 UTC
I'm with you 100% there
andy
2004-12-31 18:30:05 UTC
Post by Basil
Great Idea Thanks Well Done.
snipped>>>
Post by Reestit Mutton
Unless you've been on another planet for the past week, you will
doubtless be aware of the undersea earthquake that struck off the
Indonesian island of Sumatra on Sunday, sending giant waves smashing
More details on this offer, including my affiliate links can be found
http://www.reestit-mutton.co.uk/CHARITY/tsunami-jan05.html
regards,
RM
Excellent Reestit, you must post back to the group in March and inform us
how much you have raised.

Whilst as a country we have raised a fantastic amount of money in a very
short space of time it would appear that we could have been quicker in
offering more practical help. I am of course thinking of the military, we
have a rapid reaction force of our own which could be deployed, in addition
we have field hospital's, helicopters and a helicopter carrier that would be
of great assistance.

Andy.
Reestit Mutton
2004-12-31 18:43:04 UTC
Post by andy
Post by Basil
Great Idea Thanks Well Done.
snipped>>>
Post by Reestit Mutton
Unless you've been on another planet for the past week, you will
doubtless be aware of the undersea earthquake that struck off the
Indonesian island of Sumatra on Sunday, sending giant waves smashing
More details on this offer, including my affiliate links can be found
http://www.reestit-mutton.co.uk/CHARITY/tsunami-jan05.html
regards,
RM
Excellent Reestit, you must post back to the group in March and inform us
how much you have raised.
Let's hope that it doesn't end up embarrassingly low then.
In the meantime, there will be a snapshot update on the page linked to
(updated hopefully at least once a week)

RM
joe parkin
2005-01-01 00:21:28 UTC
In article <***@giganews.com>, ***@login2.net
says...
Post by andy
Whilst as a country we have raised a fantastic amount of money in a very
short space of time it would appear that we could have been quicker in
offering more practical help. I am of course thinking of the military, we
have a rapid reaction force of our own which could be deployed, in addition
we have field hospital's, helicopters and a helicopter carrier that would be
of great assistance.
Unfortunately our medical team consists of volunteers and is really
lacking in resources to cover all the bases our army is posted in.
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner)
2005-01-01 01:36:17 UTC
Post by Basil
Great Idea Thanks Well Done.
Hmm. Including the bible pushers. No thanks.

I suggest White Pigeon [020 8265 2764], UNICEF, UNHCR, Medecins Sans
Frontieres or Save the Children.

The United Nations World Food Programme - www.wfp.org
Medecins Sans Frontieres - www.msf.org
The United Nations ChildrenÕs Fund, Unicef - www.unicef.org.uk
The UN refugee agency, UNHCR - www.unhcr.ch
Save the Children - www.savethechildren.org.uk
Care International - www.care.org
The Red Cross & Red Crescent - www.ifrc.org
Medair - www.medair.org
World Vision - www.worldvision.org.uk
Concern - www.concern.net
The International Rescue Committee - www.theirc.org
Action Aid - www.actionaid.org
Oxfam - www.oxfam.org
Asia Quake Relief Appeal UK at asia-***@europe.com
Goal teams - www.goal.ie
--
Tamil flood relief [Sri Lanka]\ White Pigeon Fund, 1079 Garratt Lane,
Tooting, London SW17 0LN \ Call 020 8265 2764; Call 07850 670706
USA 1 301 7292722
Anton Gÿsen
2005-01-01 01:45:57 UTC
They have nothing to do with it, you idiot.
[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner)
2005-01-01 08:35:05 UTC
Then he was wrong. I'm much relieved.
[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner)
2005-01-01 08:42:13 UTC
Post by Anton Gÿsen
Post by [dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner)
Hmm. Including the bible pushers. No thanks.
They have nothing to do with it, you idiot.
You were wrong. He was right. I just checked. They do. Steer clear. I once
again recommend UNICEF, UNHCR, Medecins Sans Frontieres, White Pigeon or

USA 1 301 7292722
~ßïtzChiçk~
2004-12-31 17:38:29 UTC
Post by Reestit Mutton
http://www.dec.org.uk
More details on this offer, including my affiliate links can be found
http://www.reestit-mutton.co.uk/CHARITY/tsunami-jan05.html
What a lovely thought!
Thanks
:-)
Regards
Sheri
--
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might
as well dance

Extract yourteeth before replying
Jackie Green
2004-12-31 18:54:32 UTC
Post by ~ßïtzChiçk~
What a lovely thought!
Thanks
:-)
awww crap, who let you in? :-D
Jackie Green
xx
Sprite
2004-12-31 22:04:25 UTC
Post by Reestit Mutton
[...]

I can't really understand the mentality behind helping our country's
'problems' first. They just wither in comparison. These people need aid
desperately and some junkie on the street here isn't going to magically get
off the crack if we throw money at him. 100,000 people died in a matter of
hours and no matter what can be said, that's big. Yes people die all over
the world because of poverty etc, problems which we are also trying to help,
but these are longterm things. This was instant... they didn't know what
was coming until it was too late.

And people complain about where the money comes from that the Government
donates but I can honestly say that I'm very happy for them to have a
reserve of money should something terrible happen to the UK.

Well done, RM :-)

Sue
joe parkin
2005-01-01 00:27:28 UTC
In article <***@individual.net>, ***@ntlworld.com
says...
://www.dec.org.uk
Post by Sprite
I can't really understand the mentality behind helping our country's
'problems' first. They just wither in comparison. These people need aid
desperately and some junkie on the street here isn't going to magically get
off the crack if we throw money at him. 100,000 people died in a matter of
hours and no matter what can be said, that's big. Yes people die all over
the world because of poverty etc, problems which we are also trying to help,
but these are longterm things. This was instant... they didn't know what
was coming until it was too late.
Why do you equate our countries needy as being junkies, and why do you
not pre empt any disasters?
Post by Sprite
And people complain about where the money comes from that the Government
donates but I can honestly say that I'm very happy for them to have a
reserve of money should something terrible happen to the UK.
Well done, RM :-)
yeah
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
d***@blueyonder.co.uk
2005-01-01 00:53:33 UTC
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:27:28 -0000, joe parkin
Post by joe parkin
Why do you equate our countries needy as being junkies, and why do you
not pre empt any disasters?
I would like to know the answer to this one myself Joe there are four
families within years of me who's Fathers have walked out and left the
Mother to bring up the kids on state benefit . I am sure they will all
have had a good Christmas I don't think I haven't had one either but
not due to shortage of cash but due to the fact that I totally hate
Christmas and new year have done for years and years.
Now it is all out of the way once more I feel very relieved and I know
quite a few people who feel exactly the same.
Nic
2005-01-01 09:35:17 UTC
Post by joe parkin
Why do you equate our countries needy as being junkies, and why do you
not pre empt any disasters?
I would like to know the answer to this one myself Joe there are four
families within years of me who's Fathers have walked out and left the
Mother to bring up the kids on state benefit . I am sure they will all
have had a good Christmas I don't think I haven't had one either but
not due to shortage of cash but due to the fact that I totally hate
Christmas and new year have done for years and years.
Now it is all out of the way once more I feel very relieved and I know
quite a few people who feel exactly the same.
Why can't a family on Income Support have a good christmas? Budget
properly and keep your legs closed!
[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner)
2005-01-01 10:35:37 UTC
Post by Nic
Why can't a family on Income Support have a good christmas? Budget
properly and keep your legs closed!
How can you possibly have a good christmas with your legs closed? You are
weird.
USA 1 301 7292722
Nic
lol, ya know what I meant!
Walt Davidson
2005-01-01 10:40:21 UTC
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 09:35:17 GMT, Nic
Post by Nic
Why can't a family on Income Support have a good christmas? Budget
properly and keep your legs closed!
... or open, as the case may be!
;-) £££££
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
joe parkin
2005-01-01 10:56:16 UTC
Post by Nic
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
I am sure they will all
have had a good Christmas I don't think I haven't had one either but
Why can't a family on Income Support have a good christmas? Budget
properly and keep your legs closed!
No reason especially if they resist the urge to keep up with the Jones
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
joe parkin
2005-01-01 10:54:04 UTC
Post by d***@blueyonder.co.uk
Post by joe parkin
Why do you equate our countries needy as being junkies, and why do you
not pre empt any disasters?
I would like to know the answer to this one myself Joe there are four
families within years of me who's Fathers have walked out and left the
Mother to bring up the kids on state benefit . I am sure they will all
have had a good Christmas I don't think I haven't had one either but
not due to shortage of cash but due to the fact that I totally hate
Christmas and new year have done for years and years.
Now it is all out of the way once more I feel very relieved and I know
quite a few people who feel exactly the same.
It quite annoys me, that people have this givusakiss feeling at xmas
time only, and the rest of the time wouldn't give you the time of day.
I do not like xmas for a few reasons and likewise, am relieved when it
is over.
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
Vladimir
2005-01-01 01:04:04 UTC
Post by joe parkin
Why do you equate our countries needy as being junkies, and why do you
not pre empt any disasters?
How do you pre-empt ten billion tons of water pouring into your second floor
window????

Vladimir
Simon Ough
2005-01-01 01:07:18 UTC
Well said!
Anton Gÿsen
2005-01-01 01:13:32 UTC
Post by Simon Ough
Post by Vladimir
How do you pre-empt ten billion tons of water pouring into your second
floor
Post by Vladimir
window????
Well said!
Although it's a *slight* exaggeration.
h***@despammed.com
2005-01-01 01:20:12 UTC
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:13:32 +0000, Anton Gÿsen
Post by Anton Gÿsen
Although it's a *slight* exaggeration.
Indeed. Assume a block of water 3 metres high, 2 metres wide and 3000
kilometres long, that'd only weigh 18 million tons.

But the effect is similar.
Anton Gÿsen
2005-01-01 01:48:26 UTC
Post by h***@despammed.com
Indeed. Assume a block of water 3 metres high, 2 metres wide and 3000
kilometres long, that'd only weigh 18 million tons.
But the effect is similar.
On *one* person? The original quote was:

"How do you pre-empt ten billion tons of water pouring into your second
floor window????"

I'm not trying to be a sarcastic bastard, please see my other post.

Anton (safely into 2005)
h***@despammed.com
2005-01-01 11:20:47 UTC
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:48:26 +0000, Anton Gÿsen
Post by Anton Gÿsen
"How do you pre-empt ten billion tons of water pouring into your second
floor window????"
Yes, which is why I limited the calculation to a two metre wide bit of
wave, on the basis that that is all that would fit through a window.
joe parkin
2005-01-01 10:58:19 UTC
Post by Vladimir
Post by joe parkin
Why do you equate our countries needy as being junkies, and why do you
not pre empt any disasters?
How do you pre-empt ten billion tons of water pouring into your second floor
window????
Exactly, you cannot, but some people need help between disasters also
joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
Simon Ough
2005-01-01 01:18:29 UTC
Firstly, Happy New Year to you all.

Now, having read this thread with great interest, it saddens me to think we
are starting to get personal in our reasonings behind our arguements. Yes,
it's very sad that 150,000+ people have died, and many more will, and I also
hear the arguements about the needy (and the not so needy junkies) of the
UK.

However, we all need to step back and take a good long look at ourselves.
We're all getting het up over nothing more than someone provoking a bit of a
catfight.

Yeah, charity begins at home, but it should extend out, as far as you can
reach. We've set up a collection at work, where we've invited people to
donate, and that's fine. I've chucked in a few bob meself. Can't chuck in
any more at the moment, but I've done what I can, and THAT'S ALL THAT
MATTERS! If everyone else had the same attitude (ie: "I'll do what I can",
and not the "I can't donate much so I won't bother" rigmorale), we'd all be
a better place.

The public raised 45 million quid in 3 days (3 days!!!! That's amazing!),
even then, that equates to about 85p per person. It ain't much is it? Most
people should be able to donate a quid more. That would be another 60 or so
million quid sorted.

Also, the Lottery Commission has hundreds of millions of pounds sitting
there, doing nothing. Why not use a wedge of that? We paid for it to be used
for charitable causes, after all........

I'll tell you what, why not, instead of playing the Lottery today, put the
money you were going to play into an envelope and send it to the relief
efforts? That way, you know where your money is going. That's where my
normal fiver is going.

My two-penneth. Have a great 2005, whatever it brings,

Simon

PS: R.M. - I salute you! :)
Simon Finnigan
2005-01-01 04:07:20 UTC
Post by Reestit Mutton
[...]
Cool. We just had a collection where I work after the concert finished, and
it was amzing how generous people where being. Notes galore, and the change
they threw in was silver and gold, it really does mount up quickly. Doing
the same again on Sunday for another sold out concert, should get a fair
whack of cash to donate. Every little bit helps, but it`s very reassuring
to see how many people want to do something about this disaster. It`s all
very easy to get sucked into the cynical viewpoint - the £10 you donate will
only provide water for a single person say. Yes, in the big picture that`s
not a massive difference, but to that one person who`s got clean water to
live from it`s worth the entire world.

To everyone going all 1950`s mining village, "bugger the darkies" and all
that - if you don`t like the system, change the system. Try and get
yourself elected - if you views are similar enough to the majority
viewpoint, you`ve got a chance of getting in and changing the system. If
you don`t get in, it`s likely because you`re a crank and should get back
under the stone you where under. :-)
--
What am I selling on ebay right now?
http://tinyurl.com/38yjc
http://tinyurl.com/2pcgm
Walt Davidson
2005-01-01 09:01:00 UTC
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 04:07:20 -0000, "Simon Finnigan"
Post by Simon Finnigan
To everyone going all 1950`s mining village, "bugger the darkies" and all
that - if you don`t like the system, change the system.
I am appalled and offended by this unwarranted slight against 1950s
mining villages. It's bigotry and class snobbery of the worst
possible kind. I was born and brought up in a 1950s mining village
and I can assure you that people there were not ignorant racists, as
you groundlessly allege.

An apology is expected.
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
tanker
2005-01-01 09:26:51 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
mining villages. It's bigotry and class snobbery of the worst
possible kind. I was born and brought up in a 1950s mining village
and I can assure you that people there were not ignorant racists, as
you groundlessly allege.
An apology is expected.
I think you and I share similar backgrounds Walt. Unfortunately, your memory
is probably not what it once was - that's a sign of our advancing years. The
people in mining villages were certainly not ignorant but I don't see that
Simon ever suggested they were. Racists/Bigots though - well, that's another
matter!

Why exactly did you want an apology? Is it for the whole 1950s mining
community or just you personally?

tank
Steve Antony Williams
2005-01-01 12:04:15 UTC
Post by Simon Finnigan
To everyone going all 1950`s mining village, "bugger the darkies" and all
that - if you don`t like the system, change the system.
I am appalled and offended by this unwarranted slight against 1950s
mining villages. It's bigotry and class snobbery of the worst
possible kind. I was born and brought up in a 1950s mining village
and I can assure you that people there were not ignorant racists, as
you groundlessly allege.
I live in a 1950's mining town (used to mining town I should say" and they
are still somewhat like that now round here.

DrSteveW
Lasitha
2005-01-01 11:00:13 UTC
[...]
Reestit,

As a Sri Lankan, let me say a big thank you to you and everyone else for the
remarkable efforts in raising so much cash in a such short time period.
Every penny will be appreciated.

Lasitha